The Requirements of Getting a D1 Licence to Drive a Minibus in UK


The Requirements of Getting a D1 Licence to Drive a Minibus in UK

The D1 licence or minibus licence allows you to drive a car with nine to sixteen passenger seats if you have completed the D1 Driver Training. Cars up to eight metres in length and caravans up to 750 kg in weight can be driven by holders with D1 licences.

In case you passed your driving test prior to January 1st, 1997, your licence will be automatically classified as category D1. If, however, you passed it on any date after that, you will have to submit an application to have it included.

The Requirements for Getting a D1 Licence

A comprehensive list of legal requirements is as follows: 

  • Minibus driving on behalf of non-commercial organisations is only allowed when done voluntarily.
  • You must be over the age of 21.
  • A valid driver's licence must have been held by you for a minimum of two years.
  • If you are above 70, you must be registered by a medical practitioner and meet Group 2 medical standards.
  • With a passenger lift or ramp fitted, the maximum weight restriction is 4.25 tonnes, however it is 3.5 tonnes otherwise.

Most customers will want to rent a minibus for business or work purposes, in which case your organisation needs a D1 licence to stay in line with the law.

Is the D1 Licence Difficult to Obtain?

Thankfully, getting a D1 licence is not too tough. Should you need a D1 licence in order to hire a minibus, you must take the following steps:

  • First and first, you must verify that you meet the prerequisites for the Drivers Certificate of Professional Competence, also known as the Drivers CPC.
  • The government's DVLA website has the forms you need to fill in in order to receive a Category D1 Provisional Licence.
  • You can have the physical examination performed by your local general practitioner, and passing it certifies that you are fit to drive a minibus that can accommodate up to 16 people.
  • It is necessary to pass both your D1 theory exam and your practical driving test. 
  • If you intend to charter a minibus for business use, you must get licences for both the Public Service Vehicle Operator Licence and the Minibus Provisional Entitlement.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is D1 in the UK?

You are authorised to legally operate a vehicle with nine to sixteen seats according to your driver's licence classification (D1). If you pass your exam before January 1st, 1997, your licence will be in category D1 by default. If your test was taken after this date, however, you will need to apply to have D1 added to your licence.

Can I Drive on D1?

You can drive a minibus that can hold up to 16 people if you have a Category D1 driver's licence. You need to have a Category B driver's licence and be at least 21 years old in order to get a Category D1 licence.

How do I get a D1 Licence in the UK?

You must meet more stringent medical conditions, apply to the DVLA for the provisional right to drive a D1 Minibus, and pass the D1 driving test in order to receive your D1 Minibus licence.

Can I Drive a 12 Seater Minibus on a Car Licence UK?

Anybody with a conventional driver's licence can operate a minibus with up to 12 seats. You probably have a Category D1 licence if you passed your exam and got your driver's licence before January 1, 1997. With this, you can drive a minibus that can accommodate up to 16 people, but not for hiring or profit.

What is the Difference Between D1 and Midas?

The main advantage of MIDAS training is that it is far less expensive than obtaining a full D1 driver's licence. Alternatively, you have to pass a very easy driving test.

Post a Comment